Sunday, April 30, 2017

Research Blog #7

Frame
For my research paper, which focuses on the struggles that students from low-socioeconomic backgrounds face, there are a number of terms and academic concepts that help me to make sense of the research. SES is the socioeconomic status of a student, meritocracy is the holding of power by people selected on the basis of their ability. These are terms I came across frequently in my research. The theory that quality public education contributes to the greater good and overall well-being of this nation frames all of the work that I have done. In my opinion, it is important for students from all different backgrounds to have a fair chance at a successful college career. Another framework for my research paper is that the current college model in place for schools, state schools in particular, are set up in ways that systematically oppress students from lower income backgrounds and maintain the hierarchy in class levels that students are in at the onset of college. Because I reject the current notions and systems in place, i.e. that not at all Americans believe public education serves the greater good of this country or that anyone can achieve upward class mobility if he or she works hard enough, allows me to dive into my topic in a more rich way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment